Monday, September 19, 2016

London Breed's leadership

Hoodline

The SF Chronicle's endorsement this morning (below) of the reelection of Supervisor Breed is poorly timed, since it comes right after Breed's latest obscene outburst directed at 48 Hills after an article critical of her housing record. 

"Breed has grown on the job in the past four years, as both a leader and a student of public policy. She deserves re-election." 

Four years ago, we had these words of wisdom from Breed:
You think I give a fuck about a Willie Brown at the end of the day when it comes to my community and the shit that people like Rose Pak and Willie Brown continue to do and try to control things. They don't fucking control me---you go ask them why wouldn't you support London because she don't do what the hell I tell her to do. I don't do what no motherfucking body tells me to do.
In a message to 48 Hills the other day, Breed showed how much she "has grown on the job":
So, when I vote one way, the way you disagree with, I’m the mayor’s bitch, but when I vote the way you want me to, it’s because I have a challenger? So if this is true: “In the past four years, on the vast majority of contested votes, Breed has been on the side of the mayor’s 6-5 majority (until last year, when the majority shifted and a tenant lawyer, Dean Preston, challenged her from the left).” then how does this happen? wow Tim, you are really a piece of work! Honesty? you don’t even fact check your own bullshit ass blog! As my grandmother used to say “I’m going to pray for you, cause you got the devil in you”
I guess you could say that not deploying the F-bomb this time and using "bullshit ass" instead shows a growth in rhetorical restraint (See also this in 2013).

The earlier rant about Willie Brown's influence shows how oddly touchy Breed is about her political career in the city, which began when Brown was mayor:
Breed got her start in politics as an intern in Brown’s Office of Housing and Neighborhood Services. She worked for Brown’s re-election campaign and was later hired at the Treasure Island Development Authority.
I think she was an awful supervisor. As I predicted after her election, she quickly became captive of the policy priorities of city departments, especially the Planning Department and the MTA. She was only elected in the first place because of the dumb Ranked Choice Voting system pushed by the disastrous class of 2000 supervisors.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home